Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Creamy Carbonara

I got tired of cooking the usual red sauce spaghetti, so last Christmas I decided to go for white sauce. Creamy Carbonara it is. Looked for recipes online, read and read, printed some, then took note of the usual ingredients they have.

Went to the grocery with my list of ingredients. I must admit that I have over-bought some of the ingredients and was undecided if I were to buy spinach and basil. I didn't find those two ingredients but found McCormick Basil Leaves. I bought 2 bars of Eden cheddar cheese, 2 450grams of Linguine (instead of Fettuccine), 3 chicken breasts, 1 pack of all purpose flour, 4 250ml packs of Nestle All Purpose Cream, 2 can of Campbells Cream of Mushroom, 1 Can of Jolly Button Mushrooms, 1 pack of Ham (flat) and 450grams of bacon.

So, now with all of these ingredients I started to boil water. Then when it came to a boil, cooked the linguine as per package instruction -- add salt and oil. While waiting for the pasta to be cooked, I decided not to put basil and chicken breasts. LOL. Here's the final list of my ingredients of the sauce (since you already know how to cook the pasta) and followed by the cooking directions.
 :)

Ingredients:
1 450grams Linguine
2 250mL Nestle All Purpose Cream
1 1/2 can Campbells Cream of Mushroom
2 cans water
1 can Jolly Button Mushrooms, cut into halves
450grams bacon, shredded
1 pack ham flats, squares
1/2 cup Eden cheese, grated (then some more for topping)
pepper
garlic


Directions:
1. Fry the bacon until brown use low heat and don't overcook. Set aside.
2. Saute garlic with canola or palm oil. Add the ham and cook till brown. Add the bacon. ( You can set aside 1/4 of the bacon to be used as topping).
3. Add cream of mushroom, water, all purpose cream, and grated cheese. Mix well and bring to a boil.
4. Season with pepper. (How about salt? Do you need salt? NO. The salt will come from the ham, bacon and cheese).

Serve the pasta and sauce separately. Top with bacon bits and grated cheese. Yummm!!!!


Enjoy!

Happy Cooking,
UmbRela

No comments: