Sunday, October 30, 2011

Julie and Julia

At 4pm today while I was trying to figure out what to do with the rest of the day, I switched the channel and landed on HBO. The movie was starting and I had no idea what it was. But I had exactly on the start so I said to myself, maybe this is worth watching.


The setting of the movie was in Paris. Oh I love Paris! I wish I could go there. Then the cast of characters rolled on with Meryl Streep and Amy Adams. Meryl Streep was Julia Child who lived in Paris (but she lived in different places because of her husband's job) and Amy Adams was set in New York. Omg! New York. Queens, New York to be exact, above a pizzeria.

Meryl Streep and her husband, Stanley Tucci were dining at a lovely french restaurant with the waiter deboning the fish. As Meryl Streep tastes the fish, she was in such awe and told her husband that it tastes so good.

I told myself... OK this is going somewhere. This movie is about food. So I googled the title "Julie and Julia" and landed on Wikipedia. It's definitely about food! Yayy!!

The movie is about Julie Powell finding something else to do to get away with the stress of her daily job, which she and her husband figured out that it was cooking. She decided to write a blog about cooking, well, about Julia Child's french cooking. Her mission was 524 recipes in 365 days.

She had her success, she also had meltdowns which included almost losing her husband. She figured that she and Julia Child has a lot in common. Like having a secretarial job in a government agency, having a great husband that supports and loves her and finally, cooking as a getaway.

I actually share the same feeling. Like having a job that I don't wanna do for the rest of my life, and cooking as a getaway, well only I could do cooking during weekends and holidays. If I have another chance, you know, I'll go and enrol in a culinary school, get a diploma and start cooking just anywhere!

Oh! I hope I could get that chance, the chance where I could just begin again and start a new career. It's not too late. Julia Child began her passion for cooking when she was 40+. And Julie Powell began hers while she was busy doing her daily job. I will begin mine soon.. I will with the help of God. :)


Love lots,
UmbRela

2 comments:

Laura said...

Hmmm...just found your blog while I was looking for a friend's blog. Your title of your blog looks an awful lot like hers: http://www.loveandpancakes.com/. Is this just a coincidence? Hmmm....

umrella said...

I dunno about that. my blog is new and you can view my first post about how I arrived with my blog title.